Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Top 10 Craziest things that have happened to me in Korea...

#10 - Korean Age!?!- When I asked the kids "How old are you?" they said in Korea or in Canada.... I didn't think a 13 hour time difference really mattered! Apparently they count the time you spend in the womb!!! Crazy... so I guess I'm 26 years old in Korea!!!

#9- I CAN'T SPELL BUT IM TEACHING ENGLISH..... how ironic... I'm not even from England!!!... (I bet you can find at least 5 spelling mistakes in this post!!!)

#8- THERE'S A FREAKIN SHOWER ON THE WALL.... yeah I know ... At first I thought it was a mistake.... I don't know... Maybe the plumber got lazy or careless or maybe they were trying to cut costs ... I had to check out a few different washrooms before I really came to terms with it.... apparently every Korean has a shower just hanging on their bathroom wall!!! (see pic form last post as hard proof)

#7- "It's BEGHAM!!!!" The first day in Korea I had about 10 people come up to me and shout "BEGHAM.... BEGHAM" I did not know if it was some Korean Word for "forenigner" or "White Dude" or some sly Korean swear word. The next day when I went to teach my first day of class, sure enough, the kids would instantly point at me and shout "BEGHAM" ... as the day went by and I taught older and more experienced English students I asked them

"What is the English word for "begham"

.... they said "yeah English"

..... I said "what is it"

They said "English"

I said "English what?!?"

They said "You ... English Soccer.... Player"

Ahhhh... "Beckham not Begham ... as in David Beckham"

My hair resembles Beckham's Famous Fohawk!!!
Everday I get at least 6-12 strangers that will approach me and shout "Beckham".... I'm not exaggerating these numbers .... Yeah, everyday.... I'm not kidding!!! Today it is almost 7:00PM and I've already received 4!!!

#6- GAY KOREAN MEN...
Me and my foreigner friends can still cannot tell who's gay and who's not...
...it is common for men to hold hands, or but their hands around eachothers waists... especially after they had a few ...
... Also many men will approach foreigners and ask what their name is (I guess they are just being friendly.... and not a pick up line)
WORDS TO THE WISE.... MARK, JESA, KOREA MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD FIRST CHOICE AS TRAVEL DESTINATION .... It's just too confusing (Garret you too!!!)

#5- Dude.... I teach a kid named Dude..."
.... I'm serious.... his name is Dude...... dude....

#4- The Daegu City Police pounded on my appartment door screaming MY NAME!!!!

I looked through the peep hole and almost craped my pants...

... I put clothes on (God knows I am always naked in my apartment)...
and answered the door...

...I thought to myself ... Oh Crap ... I've probably broken numerous Korean Laws by now....

... I opened the door, he looked at me, and he walked away..
I guess they were shouting something else...

#3- There is a mountain path that starts about 3 blocks from my house, on the outskirts of Daegu...
It's absolutely beautiful.. sometimes I run up the mountain....

...Right now you may be thinking to yourself.... that's not CRAZY that's beautiful...

OK, your right..... but that is not the crazy part...

Half way up the climb of this mountain there is a free, outdoor gym...
... weight machines, free weights, pully machines.... I shit you not!!!
....a freakin gym .... half way up the mountain.... outside...
... Yesterday I was on the treadmill and I couldn't get the remote that controls on the TV to work...
OK that last sentence was a lie there are no treadmills or TV's in the gym... but still...

#2 I TEACH AT RANCH EHRLO IN DAEGU!!!

unbenounced to me I was told that I would be teaching english to the boys in jail for 1 1/2 hours a day....

...Your really go at that right???.... That's what you did at home in Canada right... so it shouldn't be a problem..

... the boys are really well behaved... you'll really like it
... I'm not kidding....

...So This Mon I started teaching the boys in jail....and well it's not really a jail although it looks like one from the outside...
... its just a youth correctional center for kids with problem behaviours....
..Kind of like a boot camp...

But it is by far my best class of the day !!!..

They are super well behaved, fun, polite... and apparently they committed only petty crimes...

#1- "SINGING KARAOKE TO LEONARD COHEN'S "I'M YOUR MAN"
...I did it friday night ...
...Karaoke.. is different in Korea ...
You generally turn your back to the crowd when you sing..
You rent a room then sing to only your friends..
the machine rates how well you imitated the song...
and there is really no popular Canadian or American songs... just crazy obscure songs...
... Like "I'm Your Man!!!

... anyways I scored 100% on that song... Yes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mathew,

I need you to explain to me in detail exactly how you actually have a shower with your wall faucet thing. Do you have to have "sponge baths" for an entire year? Do you just turn on the water and soak the entire bathroom? I just can't seem to wrap understand your strange foreign lifestyle.

Pictures may help me understand the process better, if possible.

Tyler

Fanta said...

BAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Oh heck... DUDE! ... oh shit... You're their Beckham.. ha ha ha

You rock!