Tuesday, May 29, 2007





Some of You Might have Vomited but Alissa and I Think It's Delicious...


Alissa and I couldn't resist trying some of the famously fresh specially dishes that Jeju is famous for.
Our second night we tried some of the local seafood. Alissa ordered a bean curd soup with local shellfish and I ordered Salted/Fried Jeju Snapper. The soup was fresh, there was one critter in the soup that we couldn't identify. Alissa thought it was a lobster like creature and I thought it was a crazy shrimp like creature. We agreed to disagree and eat it anyways. MMMmmmm.... mystery shellfish!!!!
On our last night I wanted to try the famous Jeju pork I had heard so much about in Korea. The Jeju pig is black with slightly different features than the inland pigs due to the geographical isolation of the island. All Koreans swear that these pigs taste much better than pink colored inland pigs.
So we scoped out a busy pork restaurant (it's the sign of a good restaurant in Korea) and ordered the precious pork. There were 2 different kinds of pig on the menu, I pointed to the more expensive one assuming that it was the 'black pig'. Of course we ordered some of the famous Halasan Soju to wash it down.
A sweet Korean lady BBQed it up for us right in front of us on our table. They also grilled up some local potatoes, onions, and of course some Kimchi too. Alissa and I ate the pork and we both agreed that it was the best pork we ever tried in our lives, it was so juicy and flavourful.
When we got home I was raving about how delish the eats were in Jeju. My Korean friends asked "Did you eat the 'black pig' ?
I was so proud to have consumed this Korean delicacy and replied "Of course I did".
They said "I can't believe you ate ddong degi!"
"Pardon Me!!!" I replied.
"Ddong Degi.... you know, shit pig!" they said.
"Shit Pig!?!" I said inquisitively.
They replied... "Yeah... didn't you know that they feed ALL the black pigs on Jeju shit!"
Shocked I asked "All the pigs???"
"Yep"
"Human Shit or pig shit?"
"Human"
The farming on Jeju is done very naturally, useing much of the same techniques that were used thousands of years ago. I guess the farmers on Jeju use out houses that drain directly into a trough that the pigs eat from.... I'm not shiting you (pardon the pun)... this is not a joke, it was confirmed by every Korean person I've asked. Before I left to the island I was on a mission to find shit pig and try it, but Alissa said that she would never kiss me again if I ate it, so I gave up. I guess we ended up eating it without even knowing!!! Alissa almost threw up when I finally broke the news too her...
We still both agree that it was the best pork that we've tried in our life times...
Mmmmm shit pig.... mmmmm!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha! Wow. That'll be a story to tell the grandkids :-)

Matt said...

I firmly believe that all pigs will eat human shit in the future... shit pig simply tastes better than non-shit-fed-pigs. Once the rest of the world finds this out the market for shit pig will explode like a bad bought of diarrhea. Thereby causing non-shit-fed pigs to be undervalued due to a lack of demand. The only way for pig farmers to turn a profit will be for them to feed their pigs shit. I think it's a good way to deal with the waste management issues around the world too. So I think my grandchildren will not think much at all of this story...
Once you go shit pig, you'll never go back.

Anonymous said...

So you and Alissa are planning to have it again while you are there?

Jolene

Anonymous said...

No, never .... at least not for me! Matt is crazy, he even wants to eat dog
Alissa

Fanta said...

*choke*... don't eat dog... please don't eat a dog!!! ha ha ha

shit pig... *still choking*

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!