Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Dat Dat Dat.... Dat Dat Dat... SHAKE DAT BUDDHI... SHAKE DAT BUDDHI

Over the short time I have been in Korea, I have been to many places and have already seen many things. Out of all the mindblowing things I have seen, none were more aweinspiring and beautiful than the Buddhist temples.

Most of ancient Korea has been destroyed in the many wars that have taken place on Korean soil. Since Korea lies on a peninsula between the Superpowers China and Japan, they have been conquered, raped, pillaged, and sacked (basically screwed up, down, and all around) throughout history. Most people that are familiar with modern history know that Korea was conquered by the Japanese before WW2... then there was the Korean War.... but most people don't know that they have been continually conquered throughout earlier history by the Chinese and the Japanese! Man it must suck to be raped, never mind being pillaged, and sacked!!!

Anyways, this pretty much left Korea void of the old architecture that is stereotypically Asian... the only exception seems to be the temples. So far I've visited three:

Jikjisa ("sa" means temple)
Famous for its temples with blue tiled roofs. Check out the crazy carved wooden dragon!

Beomeosa
A seventh century sanctuary in the mountains above Pusan! (sorry no pics)
I even saw what is claimed to be a fragment of Buddha's bone!

Donghwasa
The most famous temple in the Daegu vicinity. It is located on the beautiful Mt. Palgongsan which towers over Daegu. It also contains a Giant stone Reunification Buddha that is one of the biggest Buddhas in the world!

2 comments:

Fanta said...

MATT! Rock on with the pictures. It's so great to see that your time is incredible! We are totaly missing you over here. :P

p.s. Alissa is looking fantastic, wait until you see the Charliez Angels photos... MAKE YOU DROOL! ha ha ha

p.p.s. I'M IN LOVE!!! I have met someone incredible who is as devoted as I am. *giggles* That 1.5 years of no bf has been worth it! woot woot. Oh hey... Alissa suggested I ask if you could possibly send some long distance reiki. Is that ok? Can we arrange it so I'm not going to the bathroom? ha ha ha ha

Take Care!

You rock... so does Alissa he he he

Matt said...

Fanta I am constantly reminded of you. People in Korea really like Fanta Cola. I see it all over. Plus there's even a Preschool named Fantaland a few blocks from my appartment. All the little tots that go there have to ware these ugly, purple and yellow, uniforms that say "Fantaland". I see them all over the damn place!!!