Wednesday, September 27, 2006

ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED!!!!

At this time I will attempt to answer all of the questions that people have left me in the comment sections over the last month!!! I will publish a post like this every month or so because I feel that it is the best way that I can reach out to all my loyal blog readers and include them in the bloging process. I also pinky swear that I will answer the questions with "the truth and noting but the truth, so help me God"!!! I will go at any length to answer a question if you post it but remember to ask your questions wisely. Don't ask questions that you don't want answered truthfully!!! This is like having me hooked up to a lie detector... well kind of.

There seem to been many questions about food and the crazy shit I have eaten so far (YES I HAVE EATEN CRAZY SHIT IN KOREA) but I will address all of these questions in an upcoming blog.... ooooooooo.....I'm leaving you in suspense!!!

O.K. here it goes...

Garret asked....
"How's the weather and food?"

It just so happens that Daegu is the hottest city in the summer and the coldest city in the winter. When I arrived in Daegu, the first 2 weeks can only be described as bone crushing hot (not that the heat can actually crush bones.... actually it can be described in many ways and I don't exactly know why I chose "bone crushing hot"). My buddy from Boston used a very appropriate expression "It's hot as fuckin Balls". The temperature for these 2 weeks are what Koreans refer to as "tropical". The mornings were not even cool and the humidity stayed at 100% for 2 weeks. It rained almost every night and the cloud cover would clear in the afternoon just so you could fry in the sun during the hottest time of the day. It was above 30 C everyday plus the humidity that made it seem like 40 C!!! As soon as Sept 1 hit, everything turned rainy and a little cooler. Apparently, typhoon San-San was right on the coast, between Korea and Japan! During the next 2 weeks there was maybe 3 days where I actually saw the sun. The temperatures were mid to low 20s but the humidity was still there. The past few weeks have been absolutely beautiful. Sunny everyday, temperatures in low to mid 20s in the daytime and mid teens at night. I think I might own the only pair of sunglasses in Chilgok... nobody wears them! The clean air from the mountains is a treat for the lungs and great for marathon training. And all the leaves are still green and on the trees. At night I wear a light jacket because I am not use to the feeling of the cool, humid air that kinda kicks off from the mountains and ocean.
Koreans keep telling me that fall is by far the most beautiful season.

remember ... I'm leaving you in suspense about the food (good luck sleeping)

Joleen asked...
"What is teaching like in Korea?"

It's pretty easy for foreign teachers to teach, really anybody can do it, you just have to be foreign.... I really don't think a degree is necessary although all teaching positions require it.

I teach at the prison from 1:30pm-3:00 (10 min break in between).

Then cab to Cambridge Institute (ooooooo... Ivy League!!!) and teach younger elementary students form 3:30 t0 3:50.

Then on Tues and Thursdays I will teach 3 more older elementary school classes (about 30 to 40 min classes) and a 1 hour and 30 min free conversation (free speaking) class to 15/16 year olds on Tues and Thurs.

On Mon/Wed/Fri I teach straight through until 8:00 Pm with 5 to 20 min breaks between each class.

The classes are simple because you just follow the curriculum in the books and make it as fun as possible for the kids! You are mostly responsible for pronunciation because the amazing Korean- English teachers take care of most of the other stuff.

It's the lowest amount of stress I have ever experienced at a job (not that I ever really get stressed out at work). You would almost have to kill a kid or light the building on fire before they would even consider firing you!

Tyler asked....
"I need you to explain to me in detail exactly how you actually have a shower with your wall faucet thing. Do you have to have "sponge baths" for an entire year? Do you just turn on the water and soak the entire bathroom?"

Many people have inquired about the crazy wall shower so I will explain the process in great detail....

Step 1: Press the "Hot Water Button"

This electronic, red button in my bed room controls all the hot water in the whole suite (the kitchen faucet, and washing machine water too). Sometimes I think that damn red button is trying to control me.... In many ways it is like the talking red button from "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Step 2: Turn on the bathroom facet and wait until the water gets hot

It only takes a few seconds for that miraculous red button to work its hot water magic!!!

Step 3: Turn small metal knob located on the facet

This knob is a valve that directs the water to the "hanging on the wall, bathroom showerhead". Once the knob is turned the water just sprays freely all over the floor of the entire wash room (I think this is really therapeutic for the water- to finally be free after all that time waiting in the hot water pipes beneath my apartment).

Step 4: Unrobe

Step 5: Stand directly in the stream of water emitting from the "hanging on the wall, bathroom showerhead"

Step 6: Wash

I like to shampoo first, rinse, then condition, soap, then rinse but I'm sure if you switched the order up a little it would still work out O.K. .... I guess!?!

Step 7: Turn the small metal knob to off position

Step 8: Turn off faucet

Step 9: Towel dry

I really hope that answered your question Tyler.

Jo asked...
"What are the prices for things"

As a general rule of thumb... everything Asian is cheap and everything Western is more expensive

This rule holds up pretty good...

Hear is a list of some of the shockers...

Delicious Medium Pizza from "Pizza Bingo".... $5.00

A pack of Malburo Reds (USA Smokes)... $3.00

A month of Yoga at a beautiful yoga studio called "Yoga World"... $65.00

A 2L bottle of Gadorade... $0.60

Living the easy life in Korea... Priceless

Garret said...
"so if you only have time to write 1 blog every 2 weeks....what are you doing the rest of the time.???? Manwhoring? "

I keep pretty busy during the week... my daily schedule is as follows...

9:00AM I wake up (I have only used an alarm clock once since I came to Korea, I usually wake up when my body feels like it had enough sleep- usually 7-8 hours of sleep).

9:00-10:00 I give myself a full body Reiki treatment (peace and love baby, peace and love).

10:00-12:00 Get ready, then go for a run along the edge of the suburb by the mountains.

12:00-1:00 Get ready for work. Everyday I make myself a Korean style breakfast at this time that usually consists of Rice, Gim (seafood wrap), eggs, green tea, and of course ... kimchi! I also take a shower (see above) and get dressed.

1:00 Cab to the prison.

1:30-8:00 (9:00 on tues/thurs) Teach.

9:00 Take the 15 min walk home (and enjoy it everytime).

9:15-10:15 Yoga in my tiny little apartment!!!

10:30- 11:00 Go out for supper and sometimes eat something completely, absolutely crazy (suspense!!!).

11:00-later Meet some other Foreign English Teachers at the GS 25. The GS, as we locals refer to it, is like the Canadian equlivant to the 7-11 but it sells booze and has tables and chairs out in front.

12:00 - 1 ish Usually go to sleep or go Manwhoring.... whatever!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear all the answers to the questions people have posted. I don’t think that loitering outside the GS 25 is something you should get to fond of doing, once you return to Canada behavior like that will not be tolerated. Also don’t let that little red button give you so much grief you are bigger and stronger than it, you just need to show it who is boss, and if it does start to talk to you leave the apartment, don’t be one of those typical dumb white people that just stay in there apartment and end up dead later.

P.S. Good luck on your marathon, I also know that by the time you read this you will be done running it, you’ll have to let me know how you do.